At Rokesly, we believe that mathematics equips all our children with the knowledge and skills they need to enable them to be resourceful, independent learners and provide them with the tools to understand and change the world. We hope to build problem-solvers of the future and build resilience in our children; essential skills they can use in all aspects of their learning. We also believe that maths is a creative subject that is integrally linked to the areas of science, technology and engineering.
We believe that all children can achieve in mathematics, and teach for secure and deep understanding of mathematical concepts through manageable steps. We use mistakes and misconceptions as an essential part of learning and provide challenges through rich and sophisticated problems. We also believe that fluency of number facts is vital to building confidence and speed in solving mathematical problems.
We aim for all pupils to:
- have an appreciation of number and number operations, which enables mental calculations and written procedures to be performed efficiently, fluently and accurately to be successful in mathematics.
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics so that they develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- be able to solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of problems with increasing sophistication, including in unfamiliar contexts and to model real-life scenarios.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry and develop and present a justification, argument or proof using mathematical language.
- become resourceful, independent learners who are resilient and able to solve everyday problems.
Rokesly Junior School
London, N8 8NH
Phone: 020 8348 0290
Headteacher: Bola Soneye-Thomas